Site Visit Reflection

PDF: Site Visit Reflection

Overall my site visits with Professor Melendez went well. First, we caught each other up on experiences that we’ve had at Woodhull OB/GYN. I talked to him about the four births I saw and the c-section we did together.

Then I presented my H&P on a 43 y/o G2P1011 who was s/p c-section due to failed labor induction. The patient returned to the hospital seven days later, complaining of a persistent throbbing 6/10 generalized headache and an episode of vomiting. We cycled her blood pressure every 15 minutes, and it was always elevated. The hospital administered magnesium sulfate for a suspected diagnosis of preeclampsia and nifedipine for elevated blood pressure. The patient denied blurry vision, abdominal pain, or any seizures. 

I explained the thought process behind my differential diagnosis. Professor Melendez explained that for my final plan, I have to include diagnostic modalities that would rule out my other suspected diagnosis (CT scan to rule out CVA, ALT, and AST to rule out HELLP syndrome.

My second site visit was very similar to the fashion in that we did the first, except I presented my case article which is in more detail on my CUNY Commons profile

Lastly, Professor Melendez went through my drug cards and added any additional information I may have been missing, but for the most part, he was pleased with the variety of drugs I presented and all of their indications.

I was pleased with my experience with Professor Melendez and hope to see him in the future because he was a great teacher in the operating room and over a Zoom call.