Reflection

Rotation Reflection

My Psychiatry rotation at Elmhurst Hospital Inpatient Psychiatry went very well. My main preceptor was Dr. Latt but I mostly shadowed 2nd,3rd, and 4th-year residents such as Dr. Hardy, Dr. Trevor Brown, Dr. Sudina, and Dr. Hussain. 

My day would start with rounds at 9 AM. The psychiatrists, psychologists, and head nurse discuss patients in the unit. This can include general updates or events that may have happened overnight. After rounds, Dr. Latt would come to the office and we’d talk about patient progress and treatment plans. Dr. Latt also has classes during the day for medical students and residents. I joined the lectures for pharmacotherapy for anxiety, OCD, and depression. The classes were a good review of medications from pharmacology and psychiatry. In addition, seeing patients every day allowed me to understand the difference between Bipolar 1, Bipolar 2, Major Depressive disorder, and Schizophrenia. I’m also now able to explain the differences between schizophreniform, schizoid, schizotypal, and other variations of psychotic features.

During my rotation, I was in the inpatient unit the entire time. I mentioned to Dr. Latt when giving feedback that I wish I could have seen other floors but he told me that students are not allowed on those floors. There are multiple homicide suspects and the pediatric unit is just as dangerous due to children with conduct disorder and oppositional defiant disorder. 

Overall I enjoyed my rotation at Elmhurst and I feel like I was in a great learning environment. I’m looking forward to seeing what my next rotation brings.