Presentation Article

Below is an article that I presented for my Final Site Visit for Pediatrics on a patient with Lennox-Gaustaut syndrome.

Article

Article Summary

Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome is a lifelong condition associated with the onset of severe seizures in childhood, treatment-resistant epilepsy, intellectual disability, cognitive impairment, and behavioral abnormalities. For these patients, regardless of the medication regimen they are on, most of their life is dependent on a caretaker. Anti-Seizure medications such as Valproate and lamotrigine may reduce the frequency of seizures.

The article I presented suggests that Cannabidiol at a dose of 10 or 20mg per kilogram per day compared to a conventional anti-epileptic regimen resulted in a greater reduction in drop (atonic) seizures. Cannabidiol has been used for treatment-resistant seizures in patients with severe early-onset epilepsy.

In conclusion, it is possible that cannabidiol may lead to a reduction in atonic seizures. However, the patient will still have many seizures, and intellectual, and behavioral disabilities, and will likely be dependent on a caregiver for the rest of their life.

References

https://www.uptodate.com/contents/lennox-gastaut-syndrome?search=lennox%20gastaut%20syndrome&source=search_result&selectedTitle=1~150&usage_type=default&display_rank=1#H1969857482